Friday 26 May 2017

Ice Cream Soda Quilt





Remember that epic EPP project I was contemplating starting?

Well in a fit of madness, I signed up for Jodi at Tales of Cloth,  Ice Cream Soda Club.  Each month we are sent the papers to complete eight blocks, which in theory should be manageable.

Today my first batch of  paper pieces arrived,  I have to admit, I got a bit of a shock when I looked at them  and saw how tiny those centre diamonds are.  We'll see how I go, I imagine mine will take a little longer cos of other projects I am working on too.

My big dilemma now is what fabrics to  use.  Should I make it solely from my stash of Denyse Schmidt  or Anna Maria Horner fabrics, some of which are pictured above, or should I go totally scrappy. The blocks definitely look better with fussy cuts, so I need to get my head around the wastage that creates too.  Best I don't waste too much time thinking about it or the next lot of papers will arrive before I've started this lot.

To check out some of the fabulous fussy cutting and amazing blocks, pop over here.

Is any one else doing the Ice Cream Soda Club?


9 comments:

  1. The joys and comforts of a shiny new project! Wishing you much fun, i look forward to watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen several ice cream soda blocks, and they all look fabulous!! I know I could never keep up, so I've not even been tempted to join in. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely new project! I think the DS fabrics will work fine for the smaller pieces and the AMH fabrics for the bigger ones. A mix/match of the two would be great! Can’t wait to see what you will be choosing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this looks exciting Julie! I'm going to say 'go scrappy' 'cos you have such a pretty scrappy mix in the pic #2. And add in your DS too! #quiltlove!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always a thrill starting a new project, looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful collection of fabrics Julie, but the paper pieces look pretty small to me! I'm going to enjoy this all coming together month by month! Love the name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh better you than me Julie! I was going to make the Quatro quilt, ordered papers and templates and then nearly died when I realised how little the pieces were! I may resurrect it one day, but I had to put mine in the 'too-hard' basket for the moment! I think your AMH florals may be a bit big and blousey for the small pieces. And fussy cutting is just another step to contemplate! Good luck with your decisions- I'm sure you'll rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those centre diamonds are tiny - I was just as surprised as you when I first saw them. I have thoroughly enjoyed choosing fabrics and stitching mine, a little here, a little there. I didn't join the club but instead ordered the individual shapes and plan to make a smaller quilt. I have tagged my blocks on IG https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/icecreamsodaquilt_poc/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, beautiful fabrics and pattern, have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.