Friday 17 February 2017

Tiptoe through the Tulips


from http://www.basmeeuws.com/en/work/

http://www.basmeeuws.com/en/werk

I am pattern testing again for Allison from Campbell Soup Diary.  She is releasing a new pattern called Tiptoe through the Tulips mid March.  It combines traditional piecing, curved piecing and applique. It is a huge block 24" square, so I am sure that a quilt would come together relatively quickly.

My vision of this block differs from Allison's, in that much as I love the look of  white fabric in quilts, I know it is not really practical in my house, nor is it something I would ever use.  However I love the dramatic colour of parrot tulips against a dark background similar to those in Bas Meeuws photographs,  so have used some of these as inspiration for my block.  Rather than turn the block into a pillow or mini quilt, I am going to use it as the centre piece for a medallion quilt, something which has been on my  "one day quilts list" for a long time.   Because of the colors I am using,  I'm thinking the name of my block should be something a long the lines of  "Midnight in the Tulip Garden".

So far all the pieces exept for those to be appliqued have been cut. There are a lot of pieces required for this block, so I would very much recommend labelling the pieces as you cut them, so that you know exactly what belongs where. HST have been made and trimmed (gosh, I hate trimming) ready to start  piecing  the leaf/arrow parts of the block.

It's meant to rain this weekend, so fingers crossed I get lots of sewing done.
What plans do you have for the weekend?








8 comments:

  1. Relaxing with family is the plan for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked out the pattern, it's lovely! Looking forward to seeing your interpretation of this now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to be finishing off a couple of small quilts and stitching together blocks for another quilt this weekend, the hubster is away so I have uninterrupted time :) I love your idea of using your block as the centre of a medallion quilt, a dark background will look great and show off the applique nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too was thinking that this block would make a great centre piece to a medallion quilt. I have chosen a white background, but because I needed more fabric, have only cut out certain pieces. I hope to get it finished, tomorrow I hope! In the meantime I have the last row of binding to slipstitch down and the Dream Catcher is finished! Photos tomorrow too, weather permitting. I love the idea of a black or navy background for the tulip block!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look forward to seeing how you interpret the quilt Julie. I love the two photos you have shown. those colours will be lovely I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just my sort of colours Julie - very dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh! I like your idea for this!! Sadly, I couldn't test this time - just too much on my plate these days. I'm glad you were able to! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a gorgeous quilt! I look forward to seeing your version.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.