Sunday 11 December 2016

Mum's Quilt - The Big Reveal
















Remember that secret sewing I told you about in March.  Well I can finally reveal what it was turned into.  Over the weekend Mum celebrated her 70th birthday, and the double sided quilt my sister and I were making was finally gifted to her at a surprise birthday party we held at my house.

My side of the quilt was inspired by this quilt. I sought out the pattern and found it was the Morocco Quilt, from LIVELOVESEW,

Needless to say the pattern was purchased, downloaded and fabric was cut that afternoon for the first block.  On the whole it was an easy if some what time consuming block to make.    I had a few issues with blocks not ending up the correct size (how does that happen, when everything is cut and sewn the same), but I was able to work with that.  Part way through the creative process, I decided it was looking a little to dark and heavy, so I made three blocks up using some green Kate Spain fabric as the inner star,  I love how these have lifted the quilt and highlighted some beautiful fussy cut flowers.
I added an extra 5 blocks to the original pattern and ended up with a top almost 70" square.

My sister had a little trouble deciding on patterns and colours for her side, (three different patterns were started) but in then end went with Anna Maria Horner's feathers. which she made at 83% and used a soft dusky pink as the background for them. She used a combination of Kaffe Fassett, Amy Butler and Anna Maria Horner fabrics for her feathers.  She is very much a bright and scrappy quilter, so these really reflect her.

Funnily enough, Mum was the courier for taking my quilt top over to Brisbane, so my sister could get it quilted.  We decided that an all over design would be best, not really highlighting either side. Quilting was done by Chris from Sewco.  The binding was made from the original fabric that Mum picked.

So the big day has now been and gone, the quilt was given to Mum, tears almost flowed, bubbly and birthday cake were consumed, lots of photos were taken, and now the birthday quilt is at it's new home.





14 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I've clicked! On a second read through, I've realised, a two sided quilt - wow, what a fun idea (sorry Sunday afternoon-itis)! Both sides are beautiful, I bet your mum was gobsmacked and absolutely loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow a two sided quilt, so clever! neat that your Mum has two creative quilting daughters. Both are very beautiful............I bet your Mum was delighted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, what two wonderful daughters you are! Very pretty surprise for your mum I'm sure. A lovely mix of fabrics... on both sides!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant; I love the idea of a two-sided quilt, two daughters ... What a wonderful gift!! I love both sides, and they go well together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely idea...your quilts are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky, lucky Mum!! The quilt - both sides - is a stunner. I've seen the AMH pattern before but not your Moroccan Tile block, which I love. The fabrics are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie ~ it's a fabulous quilt. I love BOTH sides!! What a perfect gift for a mom of two girls. Very well done!
    I hope you have a super week ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a gorgeous quilt - love all of the beautiful fabrics you have both used!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful quilt...well, two quilts really! I love both sides equally as I'm sure your mum does! I am presently trying to decide whether I should give a double sided quilt a try!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful gift! Your mother is well loved :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lucky Mum you have to have such lovely daughters. The quilt is beautiful Julie, a credit to you both. I think I would have to make my own, as I dont think any of my three sons would make me one. Haha!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful!!! What a fun memory for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both of them are so beautiful!!! Awesome gift idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooohhhh! This is so beautiful! What an amazing and thoughtful gift for your mother! She will treasure it. <3

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.