Friday 4 November 2016

Auckland Festival of Quilts

 Today I took myself to the Auckland Festival of Quilts.  There was lots of inspiration with so many beautiful quilts to be looked at, photographed and discussed.  I met up with Linda from Koka Quilts, which was lovely after at least two years of commenting on each others blogs.  Below are a selection (read lots) of some which caught my eye.

Plus Size by Robyn Croft
I think this was my absolute favourite quilt, so much colour and movement



Flower Power by Christ Behersing
Flower were originally made to cover moth holes in a woolen blanket, then she kept adding them

My Anna Maria by Eileen Hoyle
How could I not love this one.  

Dinner Party by Mary Metcalf
The coloured quilting on this was particularly stunning .


Hexies by Moonlight by Mary Metcalfe

A Wing and a Prayer by Mary Cathie
Pattern from the book 'Quilting from Little Things' by Sarah Fielke

Dance Floor by Cheryl Houston

Almost Neopolitan by Maureen Stroud
All blocks from Tula Pink's City Sampler book, this quilt was huge and featured fabulous fussy cutting.



Kete: Congraduation by Louise Saunders
Maker's own design, inspired by a traditional Kete.

No Idle Moments by Carolyn Van Wonderen

Cream of Heart by Jill Young.
Each block was made up of 1000's of french knots - awe inspiring, 

A Kaleidoscope of Liberty Fabrics by Val Troost

Iridescent Bali by Vimla Govinder
Pattern from Quilt Worx

Mediterranean Hexagons by Margaret Read
From Quilts in Morrocco by Kaffe Fasset.  I was particularly intrigued by the use of brown civil war prints as the contrast in this quilt.

Axminster Carpet by Cheryl Houston
Inspired by carpet in her hallway.

Colour is Everything by Ngaire Fleming
Pattern from 'Savour Each Stitch" by Carolyn Friedlander

Curtain Fabric Samples by Debbie Jones
All linen, which showed up the different quilting patterns beautifully.
Southern Stars by Mary Hawke
This quilt was amazing, 369 hand pieced stars, some fussy cut and over 730 different fabrics were used.


And of course a day out at such an even always requires a little retail therapy, so here is the "look what I've  treated myself" to photo:


Well worth a visit if you are after some crafty quilty inspiration this weekend.

Linking up to Wandering Camera at Whims and Fancies.

18 comments:

  1. Wonderful selection of quilt pics Julie! (you forgot to mention our little spot of retail therapy!)It was great meeting you today after all this time, and lovely to wander around looking at the quilts together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delight to see, some very talented people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GReat. A busload of us from BOP are coming up tomorrow. Afterwards I'll post the ones I love. I wonder if they will be the same you have chosen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So worth a visit then? At least it's a bit closer to home now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos and excellent commentary Julie... I'll be checking them all out in the morning :-) It was nice to meet you today...good to hear you enjoyed the show but I'm just wondering where all your purchase photos are...?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely!! thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful quilts, thanks for giving us a peek!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That red quilt, No Idle Moments by Carolyn Van Wonderen, is my favorite of all; it reminds me of my Quilty365?! I must say it's really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great summary Julie - I've linked to this blog post because you too more photos than me! It was a great show.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed the show today, some wonderful quilts! It would have been fun to meet up with you. It was nice to see one of my customers quilts win a prize too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing this show. I get a bit overwhelmed by quilt shows, so this is my favorite way to "attend" them. Your photos show off the details beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Julie. I found your post via Linda and I follow Wendy. Thanks for the great show tour. Some exciting happenings there. I'm from Wisconsin these days. Love seeing your flower photos, especially in our winter months. I do Project Linus quilts for sick kids and love bright colors. You Aussies have the most wonderful fabrics. I'll check in again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quilts are fabulous! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilts!!! I also found a favorite quilt which I'm planning on doing next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I truly admire those who have the patience for these lovely pieces of art!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great selection of quilts! The designs and the quilting! Thanks so much for linking up these beauties on Wandering Camera.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing this stunning collection of quilts. Your photos display them beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.