Sunday 15 May 2016

Weekending - A Sorbetto Top







Ever since I saw a picture of this Sorbetto top. I have  wanted to make myself one. So after the success of my Barcelona skirt, I went back to Spotlight to find a suitable fabric. I looked at various cotton lawns but ended up choosing  a textured chambray voile.

The pattern is a free pattern from Colette Patterns , which I downloaded  and printed out, then spent a wee while matching and taping all the pieces together.   Based on my not so large bust measurements, I ended up making size 2 for myself.  My darts and the front pleat turned out really well.  I contemplated doing a contrasting binding but in the end made continuous bias binding to match the top.  I figured any wonky stitching wouldn't be so obvious this way.   Rather than risk messing up the top stitching, of the binding, I hand sewed it down. I have decided that if there is more binding for dressmaking in my future I am going to invest in a bias tape maker.

I made the pattern longer than what was recommended for my size, however,  I think that next time I make a Sorbetto top,  I will probably make it a little longer again and maybe make the armholes a little lower too. This is a really easy pattern, that could be made up quickly if you had pre-made bias tape on hand and you weren't handstitching anything. I have an idea,  that one made from some of Anna Maria Horner's,  Loominous fabrics with the pleat inverted like my inspiration picture would be pretty fabulous.

14 comments:

  1. A lovely styled top and yes, I can see one made up Loominous, I have a quarter of each of this range and think it's the bees knees!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a lovely job of this Julie. I admire your tenacity in printing and sticking pattern pieces together. I'd give up before I even got started. Look forward to seeing your next version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a clever girl, and it looks lovely on you. I can see you have nice trim figure to wear these lovely things you are making. You dont have the wing flap arms yet - you lucky girl. Make the most of it!! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I like the detail on the front and the fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're on a roll! It looks lovely. Since you have the pattern all ready now why don't you make a second one in one of those fabrics ( while it's all still fresh in your mind ).

    ReplyDelete
  6. That top is super cute! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill - you'd be able to whip one up in a weekend, ready for summer days.

      Delete
  7. It really does look amazing, love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice. The skirt in your previous post is also cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie, I am having so much trouble piecing the Sorbetto top pattern together. I have 3 extra pieced that don't make sense. 6D 7D & 4C Can you help?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks gorgeous on you! Does it ride up was you wear it or wear comfortably?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.