Saturday 2 January 2016

Holiday Sewing






I have been enjoying time in my sewing room over the Christmas /New Year holidays.  Just before 2015 ended, I spent a day sewing and finished the top of my Bloomsbury Quilt.  It is a massive 81" square now, the original pattern was only 60" square.    I had a couple of hiccups with the purple solid, in that I cut the wrong size strips(twice), so had to do a slightly patchier border than I wanted, however you don't really notice it.  Now I need to acquire an awful lot of fabric for the backing, make it, then baste it.  I have this silly idea of hand quilting it, so I think this may be a long term project this year.

New Year's Day was very wet in Auckland.  The perfect day for sewing.  I didn't feel like starting any new projects, so pulled out my Scrappy Sampler Quilt blocks and started piecing them together into larger blocks.   Deciding that this project cannot work without a design wall, I pulled out my batting, and installed a semi permanent one in the room next to my sewing room.  I do have to admit, that I am finding improv quilting rather difficult, however I do like the blocks I have done so far.  It is rather like a very big jigsaw, pieces are continually getting shuffled around, so it will be anyone's guess as to how this quilt will turn out.

6 comments:

  1. Such wonderful sewing! Enjoy the quilting! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bloomsbury PLUS quilt is lovely and will be so soft and cuddly when hand quilted. Your sampler quilt is coming along nicely, I can see why a design wall would be very helpful for this quilt. I have been toying with making some of the feather blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely sampler quilt.Good time to sew in this weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely finish to 2015 and start to 2016! The sampler blocks are great! I can definitely see the benefit of a design wall for this project! Happy sewing Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hand quilting would give a lovely finish to your Bloomsbury Plus quilt, even if you only quilted some the the area by hand. Shuffling like a jig saw - yes, that describes it well but you don't have a firm picture of the finished puzzle....makes the challenge all the more fulfilling when you finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year. I am looking forward to your next projects. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.