Friday 26 July 2013

Ruby Revealed


 
 

 

  


Almost two years after receiving a layer cake of Bonnie & Camille's Ruby fabric, I have finished my quilt.
It is made up of 36 nine patch blocks.  The white sashing and fabric in the blocks is a vintage cotton sheet.
As I can not get a walking foot to fit my machine,I had problems trying to machine quilt the centre panel of  the quilt.  After unpicking a couple of attempts I eventually decided to hand quilt each block.  The border however was machine quilted in rows approximately 1 1/2 inches apart
I used a polyester batting to save money - however I don't think I enjoyed sewing that as much as cotton or bamboo batting.  The backing is a Prints Charming print on cotton poplin - that too may have caused some of my problems because it seems to be slipperier than quilting cotton.
Now that it is finished I am enjoying seeing it on my bed with the cushion I made. I may make another couple of cushions to replace the old ones I was previously using.

**The first of my Q3 Finish-A-Long projects to be completed.***

7 comments:

  1. The hand quilting is perfect! Love the prints charming backing too, I haven't used it so interesting to know that it may more slippery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I love the colours in Ruby too. The nine patch looks really good. I have a jelly roll of 'Bliss' by the same designers and unsure of what to do with it... it is so special.
    Can you fit an embroidery foot on to your machine? I use that a lot for quilting as then I don't have to turn corners as using a walking foot would. Sorry - you've probably thought of that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so so so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks lovely! I especially like the hand quilting. I also hand quilted the main centre panel of the large quilt for our bed which I finished in April after two years work (on and off) as I couldn't fit it in my machine. Yours has turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hand quilting is lovely! You have a lot of determination to get a large quilt like this all quilted by hand/home sewing machine! Beautiful :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning - and I love all the hand quilting

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely! I do love the nine patch, and the white sashing frames them all beatuifully! Linda

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.