Wednesday 8 May 2013

String Fling Finished

It is amazing how working to a deadline can inspire you to finish something.  At the beginning of April I joined Rachel at Stitched in Color's Scrap Attack - String Fling QAL.  I had wanted to make a String Quilt for a while, so decided that this was the motivation I needed.  Using the FITF paper pieced tutorial I made 49 x 8.5" blocks.  They came together really quickly.  However ripping off all the paper foundation caused some stretching of my blocks.  If  I was to make these again I would probably use a muslin or even very light interfacing as a  foundation.



Quilting was difficult, and because I don't have a walking foot I kept it relatively simple, stitched in the ditch on all horizontal and vertical lines and then three rows of stitching on the diagonal crossways through each row. 



So this is the finished quilt, about 54" square, backed in a cream and black ticking type fabric, and bound with black and white polka dots, larger than the centre block stripes.





I'm very pleased it's finished and we're looking forward to using it it to snuggle up under on the sofa on these cooler autumn and winter nights.

4 comments:

  1. Love the top as well as the great backing fabric and binding. The backing is such a perfect complement to the front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the polka dots on the binding and the middle strip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you dived in and made a string quilt. This was my first too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog finally through Rachel's Strip Festival and am now a follower. I love your string quilt and think you made a smart decision on the quilting: keep it simple until you get a walking foot. Complex quilting becomes much more complex when you have to struggle. Beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.